Here are my tips for getting through the holidays relatively unscathed without any Holiday Flares:
Stress is the big one, so a lot of these tips are stress related.
0) Whatever else is going on, take time for yourself to rest and recover. Plan according to your rest needs. Don’t plan packed, busy trips. Communicate to your partner the need to pace things out. If you do a big travel day, make sure you have some recovery time planned afterwards. It’s hard because it feels like wasted time. But the 2 weeks you spend recovering from a bad flare is a lot more wasted time that the 1 day resting after a lot of travel.
- Preparations for any travel you are planning to do, such as packing done well in advance over days so you have time to think about it, add things you might otherwise forget if you pack in a rush, car rental booked well ahead, hotel bookings, etc. See my separate article about tips for traveling HERE.
- If you are planning on cooking for Thanksgiving, work out all items you will be cooking or baking, get all recipes printed or marked, make a list of all ingredients you will need to buy. Same thing for Christmas.
- Gift lists for Christmas.
- Holiday decorations.
- Parties, events or functions you plan on attending or holding.
- Wrapping and any shipping of gifts.
- Any charitable activities or donations you may be involved in during these times.